Denied Boarding and Downgrading Compensation

We realize that a denied boarding or downgrading can be frustrating and have a big impact on your travel plans and we are very sorry when this happens. However, sometimes we are left with no other choice. You can read below to see how you can apply compensation

Instead of getting your compensation in cash, you can choose to receive compensation in SAS EuroBonus Extra points which can be used to travel the world with SAS and Star Alliance. The points can also be used for hotel stays and rental cars. In addition to this, you can of course use them to bid on upgrades to SAS Plus or SAS Business the next time you travel with us.

This offer is only available if the claim has been made directly with SAS. Apply for compensation directly from SAS to take advantage of this great point offer!
Read more about SAS EuroBonus


  1. Remember that it is the passenger suffering a delay or cancellation who might be entitled to compensation and who can make a claim. If this is not you but you want to file a claim on behalf of a passenger you must submit a Power of Attorney (unless you are a legal guardian of a minor who is traveling with you).

  2. To handle your claim we need the following information:
    • Name and contact details for all passengers who are included in the claim.
    • Booking reference (PNR).
    • Flight date and flight number.

  3. For payments we need the following information:
    • Name of the Bank.
    • Name of the account holder (added)

    For banks within EU/EES:
    • IBAN (International Bank Account Number) and BIC/Swift (Bank Identifier Code).

    For banks in USA:
    • the American Bankers Association (ABA) Routing Number.
    • BIC/Swift (Bank Identifier Code)
    • Account number

    Please contact your bank or check their website if you need details about the information above.

  4. If we haven't already covered extra expenses, i.e. costs for food, drinks, accommodation or transport during the delay/cancellation, please attached receipt for these expenses.
Please note:
  • If costs for food and accommodation appears on the same receipt, you will have to add this receipt twice.
  • We cannot make any payments without submission of receipts
If you for any reason are unhappy with our final response to your complaint, you can refer your complaint to the local consumer body for inquiries. Contact the applicable National Enforcement Body. You can find contact information here. More information about your rights can be found here.

An Online Dispute Resolution platform, set up by the European Commission, also provides access to alternative dispute resolution (ADR).

For the United Kingdom, you can refer your complaint to Schlichtungsstelle für den öffentlichen Personenverkehr e.V. (SÖP). SÖP is approved by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) to provide dispute resolution services and an independent view of your complaint under the Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) for Consumer Disputes.

You will need to refer your complaint to them within 12 months after our final response.

Söp can be contacted here:

Schlichtungsstelle für den öffentlichen Personenverkehr e.V. (SÖP)
Fasanenstraße 81
DE -10623 Berlin

Alternatively, you can log your complaint with CAA’s Passenger Advice and Complaints Team (PACT) by completing the online complaint form via the CAA website: Under the subtitle ‘How the CAA can Help’ you will need to click on the link ‘Refer your complaint to us’. You can then access the CAA’s consumer portal where you can submit your complaint to PACT. Please note that PACT’s complaints service cannot require airlines to take any particular action; whereas the outcomes of the ADR process are binding upon the airline.

If you would like to make a complaint, please use our online feedback form since we need your approval to our “Terms and Conditions”

Email: For information on our complaints procedure can be found here